Friday, March 13, 2009

Speaking of last night's results...

Hooray for hockey! I don't know where to begin. My (less happy than I) Pens fan friend and I spent 4 hours watching 5 games on 2 TVs last night. End result: Hooray for hockey!

In the Panthers-Sabres game, I said I think I want the Sabres to win, but I'm happy as long as it doesn't go into overtime. The Sabres won in regulation. Sure, that keeps them in the bubble for now, but they're still at its bottom, and time is running out, and I'm willing to spot them 2 points against the Panthers, if it means the Cats don't get them. And they're welcome to lose tomorrow to the Thrashers ;)

In the Penguins-Jackets game, the Jackets went up 3-0, and were still up 3-0 with 12 minutes left in the game. Then, they did what non-championship teams do, and the Pens did what the Pens always do, and in a span of 3:25, it was 3-3. That's a point I'm kinda pissed about, because I really hate the Penguins, and come on! You're up 3-zip with 12 minutes of hockey left to play! Just...play the game! But, the Jackets win it in the SO, so the Pens' winning streak snaps, and they only take 1 point out of the night. Fine.

In the Islanders-Canadiens game, I'm not really gonna care too much that the Isles were up 2-1 with 14 minutes left, then killed off a full 2-minute 5-on-3, and then 2 minutes later gave up the tying goal. The Isles came back and won it in overtime anyway, and this is tantamount to robbery. Fish Sticks do us a favor. Canadiens gain 1.

Finally, in the game I watched the least of, the Stars went up 3-1 and finished off Carolina 3-2. I don't have a ton to say about it, cause I didn't watch it a ton, but I'm sure it was as good as I expected it to be, because I'm right about everything. Thank you Dallas.

So, IF we were to discount the Sabres from contention (which, you'll note, I'm not), the 5 remaining teams in the bubble were all in action last night. We're the only one that came away with 2 points. And, as I mentioned yesterday, that means all the games-in-hand math stays the same. We just...move up. Of course, losing to the Flyers this weekend would still put us in a terrible place. But we'll worry about that later. No one in the East is in action tonight. Lundqvist sets his NHL record. We're 4-1 in our last 5. Today, we feel good.

Your reward:

5. Montréal - 80 pts, 14 GR
6. Pittsburgh - 79 pts, 13 GR
7. NEW YORK RANGERS - 78 pts, 14 GR
8. Carolina - 78 pts, 12 GR
-----------------------------------
9. Florida - 77 pts, 14 GR
10. Buffalo - 75 pts, 14 GR

No comments:

Post a Comment