Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Oh! Hi, I didn't see you there...

Right, so, I went away for, like, ever. There was business to be conducted, in sunny San Francisco, where the sun shines and the East Coast games start at 4PM. I'd like to tell you a lot has happened, but it hasn't really, and to be honest, I have missed every game so far since the Olympic break, with the exception of the OT loss to the Pens. In that stretch, we beat Ottawa 4-1, then lost 4 in a row, giving up 142 shots in those 4 games, before winning 2 in a row: what my father told me were a terrible game against a terrible team in Atlanta and an amazing game against the Flyers. I did see the Dubinsky-Richards fight, though, and Oh Fuck Yes was that sweet.

But the point is: I didn't really see any of these games, so I'm not really qualified to talk about them. I intend to watch the rest. We've got 13 more of them before the end of the season, and we're currently one point and one game-in-hand behind eighth-place Boston. We're five (5) points behind seventh-place Montréal, but we have a game-in-hand on them. The point being: the bubble is looking a little less bubbly than it has in years past. Playoff hopes are not as bright as one would like.

That said, 8 of those 13 games are against teams within six points of us, above or below, in the East. So, there's a case to be made that, if we put together a good season-closing effort, we can absolutely squeak into the playoffs. For what that's worth. That season-closing effort would start tonight at 7:30 when Montréal visits New York. To put things in perspective, a win tonight would give us only our third 3-game winning streak of the season (unless you count the streak that spans the Olympic break): we won the 7 in a row in our first 8, and we won 4 in a row in December. Other than that, we haven't won more than 2 in a row all season.

Anyway, I'm back. I'm going to go try to remember who all these guys are. And maybe later today I'll post a rant about how fucking insane it is that Matt Cooke didn't get suspended but Alex Ovechkin did. This league is fucked.

Oh, yeah: Let's Go Rangers!

1 comment:

  1. The bubbly isn’t so bubbly? Happens to me all the time. But then, I don’t like champagne. Apparently, neither do the Rangers, or they might have put some energy & effort into finishing in a spot which would merit drinking some. On the other hand, wouldn’t it be nice (no, not the Beach Boys) if, on Thursday night, someone on the Bruins thought it was 1972 and pounded Cooke into mulch? I think so. Go Rangers!

    ReplyDelete