Friday, July 17, 2009

More Stuff to Know

--The Coyotes released Nigel Dawes on waivers, and the Flames picked him up. He filed for arbitration.

--Remember Jed Ortmeyer? Man, I liked Jed Ortmeyer. The Sharks signed Jed Ortmeyer to a 1-year contract.

--There have been whisperings of Brendan Shanahan coming back. Apparently the rumor mill says that both the Rangers and the Devils are interested. I'm not sure how much credence to give this: probably about as much as I give Zubov rumors. They make a little sense, but that's probably the only reason they exist as rumors. I love the shit out of Brendan Shanahan, and if we can find a place for him, I'd love to see him back in Blue. That said, if he's taking a chance away from a kid, am I just being a Sather about this? Let's sign him and put him on the left wing of the 4th line.

--We have traded defensive prospect Brian Fahey to the Avalanche for defensive prospect Nigel Williams. The bitter school of thought says that it is very hard to commit to a core corps of youth when you keep trading them away. It certainly is astounding how many personnel changes we've made lately. However, as Adam Rotter over at SNY Rangers Blog says, "Anytime [sic] you can trade a 28 year old depth defenseman for a 21 year old defenseman who is 6-4 226, you have to do it." I'm inclined to believe this is a very good move - Fahey was already 28 and nowhere near as promising as kids like Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, Gilroy, Sauer, and Potter. In exchange, we get a huge prospect 7 years his minor about whom people are still very excited. I think Sather gets a gold star for this one.

--As I sometimes do, let's end with comforting words from John Tortorella. Aw, hell, just go read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment