Friday, July 10, 2009

Bank Error In Your Favor

As 100% sure as I am that no one noticed this, I feel obligated to correct myself - I was off by a million dollars! I am sorry for being the worst!

Back in the entry wherein I started to really explore the cap, after discovering my new favorite website, I started to go through figures, and at one point, I made the claim "That brings us to around $49.5 million, leaving us $6.3 million to play with under the cap." Then I've been working off of that figure the whole time. I was playing around on OtG today and couldn't figure out why I was a million dollars off from their figures. Of course, the answer is that a $56.8 million cap and a total salary of $49.5 million leave us $7.3 million to play with, not $6.3 million. So, I'm a dumbus. That means every time I've complained about the cap since then, we've had a million more to spend than I thought we did. Yesterday, when I talked about Boyle, Arnason, and $3.6 million of room, it should have been 4.6. And so on. Sorry about that, two people who care. Sorry.

So, I was going to do an "updated numbers" post anyway. I'll go back and add that million back in to do so. You'll see who I've considered "making the roster" - obviously, some of these players won't make the cut at camp, but since we're talking total salary cap, I want to include them for now, to see what we have to play with. Also I've un-rounded the cap room number, for greater accuracy.

Assumption: Qualify Korpikoski at $1 million
Assumption: Qualify Dubinsky at $700,000
Assumption: Keep Callahan after arbitration at $2.3 million

Centers: Drury, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, Rissmiller, Arnason
Left Wings: Higgins, Avery, Korpikoski, Voros, Brashear
Right Wings: Gaborik, Kotalik, Callahan
Defensemen: Staal, Girardi, Gilroy, Sauer, Rozsival, Redden
Goalies: Lundqvist, Valiquette
Cap room: $1.5425 million

That cap room is plenty to also carry Corey Potter (or someone similar) or left winger Dane Byers (or someone similar) onto a roster of the maximum 23. Obviously, I expect to be fairly wrong about the "who makes the cut" stuff, since training camp doesn't even start for a month and a half, but the numbers probably come close (Sauer, Potter, Sanguinetti, or Heikkenen will each cost half a million to a million, as will Byers, Parenteau, Voros, Rissmiller, or Arnason, et cetera). This gives us some breathing room, in case we want to give Dubi a little more or make another move (like trading a $1.4 million left wing for anything else at all).

Again, I'm sorry I'm so bad at subtraction. Thanks for not hatin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment