Monday, January 4, 2010

It's been forever

I don't get paid for this, which means it takes a back seat to other things. Plus I was on vacation. Back to the Rangers in a minute, but first: I touched Brendan Shanahan.

I was at the Garden for my first Ranger game of the year, on my girlfriend's father's company-friend's tickets (which means we were seven rows from the ice). It was the Islander game on the 26th, which we lost in overtime after Dubi tied it with like 40 seconds left. After the game, we went down to exit instead of up, which I didn't even know was an option at that level, and as we were leaving out this cool people corridor, Shanny came walking down with his kid on his shoulder. Kid couldn't have been more than three.

When I saw him, his face immediately registered as Brendan Shanahan's, which was fine with me, because I'd spent the entire evening seeing hockey-related things close up that I'm used to seeing from far away on TV. So I looked back forwards and kept walking. Then I realized the actual situation: I was walking right behind Brendan Shanahan!

So, what actually happened was that I saw him, looked away, did a cartoon-inspired double-take, stared back up at him and his three-year-old, and screamed, "HOLY SHIT!!"

I'm so smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment