Thursday, June 2, 2011

Oh hey guys did you know I write a hockey blog

So, Blogger went down for a day a few weeks ago. When it came back, I kinda expected the entry I had written, that it lost, to eventually be restored, but it was not. Sad times. You would have liked it: Denis Potvin, who sucks, had made some disparaging comments about Avery's support of gay marriage. I made some jokes about a defense of the sanctity of marriage coming from a guy who beat his wife. Fun times were had by all. Oh, well.

While I was waiting for the post to come back (which, in the Gantt chart in my head, had to happen before I returned to posting), some shit went down that I had absolutely no idea how to write anything about, to the tune of Derek Boogaard passing away. I still don't know how to write anything about that.

Then the news that the Atlanta Spirit has sold the Atlanta Thrashers to True North Entertainment, which intends to relocate them to Winnipeg, Manitoba. That sale is pending 75% approval from the NHL Board of Governors (made up mostly of the owners and GMs of the league's 30 teams), and the move itself is pending a 50% approval from the same board. Both will absolutely come in their meeting on June 21, and then we will lose the Thrashers. More on that, by the numbers, in a later post, I think.

As long as we're on the hopefully-not-empty promises train, I will also get back to analyzing our cap situation soon.

Finally, some good news: you may have heard yesterday that Colin Campbell is stepping down as NHL's head disciplinarian (he will be retaining his post as VP of Hockey Operations). Rumor has it Brendan Shanahan will be taking over. This is largely awesome, because Brendan Shanahan understands how hitting in hockey is supposed to work. I'm a little afraid for Shanny, since he's taken on a job that is bound to get him hated by lots of hockey fans, but for now, I have to put my faith in him to start to overhaul a very broken system. So, hooray for that.

Anyway, I'm writing this thing again, is the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment