Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Updates

Okay, I finally understand what we were thinking with Christensen: Sather was afraid of giving the qualifier not for the $75,000 a year difference, but because Christensen qualified for arbitration, and he was afraid that would get expensive. So, by moving it to a slightly lower, 2-year deal, he would avoid it being an official qualifying offer, which means arbitration would not be a concern - basically, Sather could make the multi-year deal now and then not have to worry about it anymore - one contract done.

Unfortunately, Christensen rejected an offer of $750,000 a year for 2 years, so all signs point to him hitting the free agent market tomorrow. I guess we'll see what other offers he picks up - I liked the way he played, but there's no sense overpaying for him. If Toronto or the Islanders want to pay him $2 million a year, then good for them. Otherwise, maybe some negotiations could take place and he could still end up back on the squad next season.

Meanwhile, it sounds like we've offered Shelley a deal in the neighborhood of $850,000 for two years. That's a reasonable offer, but we're going to have to be prepared for a counter-offer that's a bit higher, given Brashear as the precedent. Still, this is a good first step, I'm glad we're negotiating with him, and I hope that we find agreement quickly and move on.

Larry Brooks reports, though it may be speculation, that the Rangers' number one priority tomorrow will be finding a backup we can trust to play a good 15-18 games a season. He suggests Marty Biron or Moose Hedberg. I like this plan, but I have trouble buying into the idea that Torts will ever play the backup, no matter who we get. He's got goalie fears as it is, and he likes Lundqvist a lot, so it seems unlikely - see what happened to Auld last season. At least Valiquette didn't perform well the couple of times he was put in in front of the new coach. Auld barely got a shot at all. So, I like that we want a competent, trustworthy backup - I just hope we give him a chance to actually become trusted.

I guess that, frighteningly enough, that means I'm mostly on board with what Sather has and hasn't done so far. The only thing I'm really fuzzy on is why we're not yet renegotiating a small deal with Prospal, before he hits the market tomorrow. It wouldn't have to be a big offer, just something to keep him around. Unless he really wants a longer-term deal, in which case I'd let him shop around, but from what I hear so far, we haven't even made him a single-year offer. Oh, well. So far, we're okay.

So far.

No comments:

Post a Comment