Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Kovalchuk Lite

(with due credit given to my father, who coined the term I used as the post title)

Well, today we signed Alexander Frolov. We'd been talking about it for a few days, and now it happened. Remember when Kovalchuk was gonna be a King? Now Frolov isn't either. Rough couple of weeks, LA. Frolov is a 28-year-old, 6'2", 204 lb. left wing who has over 50 points in each of his 5 NHL seasons to date. The Kings weren't happy with him, claiming that his recent decline in numbers was due to a lack of motivation. I'm more inclined to blame it on slight statistical variation, but we'll see what he does under John Tortorella. Overall, I think it's a pretty good move - we got him for a one-year deal at $3 million, which I will take if it gets us some meaningful scoring, and we can drop him next season if it doesn't.

But here's the really good news - I'm doing some quick math. I'll go into more depth in another post, but I'm adding up our current cap hits, and given that we're still planning on signing Staal at $4 million or so, an additional $3 million hit is telling me there's no way we're planning on keeping Redden's salary. We'd be way over. I'll do some math here for you soon, but this move really seems to say goodbye to Wade. Wow, do I hope I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment